Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Deep Ellum, Texas

I've been depressed lately. There I said it. And with depression comes all it's nasty symptoms... Sad, empty, tearful feelings; loss of interest in activities that used to be enjoyable; difficulty sleeping; agitation; reduction of physical movements; fatigue; loss of energy; feelings of worthlessness, inappropriate guilt; poor concentration; difficulty making decisions...well, you get the point. Despite all these side-effects, which would make it seem obvious to one's self what was going on, it's hard to realize sometimes that you're actually suffering from depression. Like so many nights before, I was up all night last night for no apparent reason at all. Growing increasingly tired of my situation, around 7 AM on this particular morning I had decided to do something about it. I needed to get out, explore the city, and collect my thoughts. I scrounged up enough change for bus fare and headed toward my favorite place in the city, Deep Ellum, an arts and entertainment district near downtown in east Dallas. You see, I'm originally from the middle of nowhere Texas and in the country, things are slower...much slower. But the pull of the big city has always been there. In my young, adolescent mind Dallas was a woundrous place where anything could happen. Where opportunities were around every corner. There was an exciting energy in the air. It's what brought me here, and more specifically to Deep Ellum. It's a place that has always seemed to attract creative and adventurous people. When walking the streets one can expect to see artists, musicians, bikers, skate-boarders, photographers, and many other variations of interesting people. But it's not just the people here. As I'm walking the streets on this day, my surroundings beckon me to take a closer look. Every nook and cranny of this place has a story to tell. You would be hard-pressed to look in any given direction and not see a mural or a sculpture or a painting of some kind. As my mind's eye takes in the sights, and I begin to take note of the hidden messages on the walls and sidewalks, I'm reminded not only of why I fell in love with this place; but what's really important to me in life. I begin to snap photo after photo...and eventually become completely immersed in the task at hand. I couldn't stop. And it doesn't take long for one to realize just how much beauty is actually here! It's really quite remarkable. Like any unique destination, this place has had its ups and downs. But for better or worse, Deep Ellum has always been, and will always be a magical, culture rich blip on the map that continues to attract and inspire the creative masses. I have so many fond memories from this area; the shows I've played here, the art galleries I've attended here, all the bands I've discovered here, the great places to eat, the tattoos I've gotten here, the friends I've met, and so much more. For me there is no place like this anywhere, however for those reading this who have never experienced Deep Ellum I am sure there is a place in your life that continues to draw you in and inspire awe. If you haven't been to that place in a while, I encourage you to revisit. If you haven't made it there yet, I implore you to seek it out. You may just find what you've been looking for, or possibly take in a fresh breathe of inspiration. (I have included a video I put together of all the pictures I took that day down in Deep Ellum. Enjoy!) THE ART OF DEEP ELLUM VIDEO

1 comment: