Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Nu Metal/Industrial Picks



The late 90’s and early 2000’s was a glorious time for Nu-metal and Industrial metal fans! In my case I was an impressionable young 18 or 19 year old at the time, and the music scene was completely overrun with Korn knock-offs and Rob Zombie wanna-be’s…however shameful it may be to admit I was into this craze, I was. Music fads come and go and this will be a time in music I will always be quite fond of. Don’t get me wrong. I was, have been, and always will be a fan of the old-school. Thrash, Death, and Power metal have always been my absolute favorites. But there was just something about this sound that took a hold of me! The groove oriented riffs based on syncopation were ultra catchy! Bands associated with nu metal derive influence from a variety of diverse styles, including electronica/electronic musicfunkglam rockgothic rock,grungehardcore punkhip hopindustrial rockjazzpost punk and synthpop.  It wasn’t just the sound of Nu-metal and Industrial metal that was turning heads, but their looks as well. From the costumes and masks of bands like Slipknot, Mushroomhead, and Crossbreed; to the make-up and extreme fashion statements of Marylin Manson, Godhead, and Nine Inch Nails. Spikey hair-cuts, piercings, dread locks, tattoos, eye-liner…the look of these bands alone was getting them massive exposure within the metal community. I can remember being at Ozzfest one summer, approaching the second stage, and seeing Motograter. They all had their tribal war paint on, and there was so much going on up there; I was blown away! I can also remember walking through the isles of my favorite local music store and spotting the Mushroomhead disc XX. I had never even heard of the band before, I just bought the album because I thought they looked cool and I ended up loving it! I guess I have always been a fan of bands with an image like Motograter, Mushroomhead, and Slipknot; and I’ve secretly always wanted to be in a band like that. I guess that’s why my first professional tour I ever embarked on was with the band Pinhed (leather mask, spiked-armor wearing blackened death metal band); we opened up for Mushroomhead every night and it was honor to meet those guys and tour with them considering I was such a huge fan of the band growning up. I played it cool, but my inner fan boy was screaming! I have compiled a collection of my favorite bands from this time in music and have included links to some of their videos and songs. Check ‘em out!!!
SWIMMING WITH SHARKS ENTERTAINMENT PRESENTS:
THE BEST NU-METAL AND INDUSTRIAL METAL BANDS. EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment